Tuesday, May 22, 2012

3000 Views, a Term Paper, and Godwin's Law

It seems like just yesterday I was posting about how I'd hit 2,000 views on this blog. In fact, it was barely over a month ago. Now we've hit 3,000 views! It seems like a paltry sum compared to the big-shots in the blogosphere, but I take what I can get. Anyways, thanks to everyone who follows this blog and gives me feedback/criticism/praise on it. As I always say, I'll keep blogging if you keep reading.


Now then, on to business. I just put the finishing touches on my Affordable Care Act term paper, which I now grudgingly deem acceptable for public consumption. Ten pages seems both too long and too short for what I had in mind, so I may have had to be grossly one-sided gloss over some things more than I'd have liked, but oh well. 


You can download my paper via Dropbox here. It should open it up in your browser first and you can choose to download the word document from there. Feel free to offer criticism and (hopefully) praise!


Interesting things I've read today:
  • David Frum comments on a study about how people who watch Fox News have their brains turned to molten slag on average answer fewer policy-related questions correctly than people who watch no news at all.
  • Robert Reich tells the class of 2012 that they're f***ed. No, really, he does. More or less.
  • Matt Yglesias tells us how GOP Representative Daniel Webster criticized the American Community Survey for being a "random" survey and not being scientific. Apparently he flunked statistics doesn't understand how surveys are supposed to work.
  • Ezra Klein talks about how RomneyCare is seems to be working in Massachusetts to slow the growth of medical costs. Maybe, just maybe, Obamacare will do the same. Since, you know, they're the same law and all.
  • Scott Sumner wishes that reporters would ask Ben Bernanke the hard questions. Also, the Fed needs to adopt NGDP targeting so it can offset fiscal contraction. Sounds like a good idea to me.
  • And finally, Paul Krugman provides us with a lovely example of a right-wing think tank that has gone off the deep end basically into Godwin's law territory:
  • Because the Unabomber believes in global warming, it must be terrible to believe in it, too. Hard to claim objectivity and rationality when you throw something like this out. I wish I could say this was an isolated incident, but it isn't